NLP Reading Group, Dhaka
A Dhaka based Reading Group for Natural Language Processing and Deep Learning Research
An introductory course on deep learning and advanced Natural Language Processing (NLP) research. This reading group is specifically focused on neural networks for NLP. We will cover 12 research papers and 4 hands-on-tutorials for 4 months starting from the mid of January 2022. Introductory reading materials and recordings of the previous session can be found in
Target audience: Anyone interested in NLP and DL can join NLPDhaka reading group. You just need to fill up this form. However, our readings are research-heavy which make the discussion useful for senior undergrad and grad students. If you have plan to do an MSc or PhD, then you may find the discussion beneficial. We hope it will all help to build specialization in NLP as well as broader computer science domains. We cover preliminary understanding to advanced level of knowledge in NLP research.
Changes in Winter 2022
- 3 sessions in a month. We are leaving one week for having some buffer weeks.
- We will announce reading event in other social media platforms. We will create an FB page to get more people join the readings.
- We distribute tasks to many people through
CORE TEAM, a fresh addition in current organizational structure.
- We are introducing Research Jamming Session. If you have a project idea or ongoing work, you can share them with reading group and invite participants for collaboration.
- We are collecting phone numbers. If you are taking a session, you may get a call from us for confirmation.
Introducing CORE TEAM
- Core team will help us to run the reading group consistently. If presenters are not available for a reading session, they will provide backups to host the session.
- One important aspect of introducing core team is decentralizing speakers in current reading sessions. They are expectedly going to be a dedicated group to strengthen our reading sessions.
- The team will have maximum 5 members. Anyone can apply to join the group.
- Core team will also be an integral part of supporting presenters. They will work on one research project if interested.
- We will be providing compute resources for the core team (if needed).
- The team will have opportunity to present their work in the
Why NLP Reading; goals and prospects
Given the momentum of ML taking over the world, it is obvious we join this exciting technological endeavor for the future. Our end goal as a reading group is to carry out genuine and constructive discussions on natural language processing research and its subsequent fields. A long-term optimistic view would be seeing an increase in publications at prestigious ML/ACL venues. We also look forward to initiating a good research mentorship for resource-lean people. A reading group with its current organization can do a little. We believe there will be timely opportunities when we can do more than just reading papers each week. For this season, we are adding a few hands-on tutorials. An extension along this line would be adding coding sessions within a subgroup parallel to reading sessions. That could possibly be explored in future iterations.